Suffolk: Waldringfield golf course for sale for £1.25m
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
The owner of a popular Suffolk golf course has put it up for sale for £1.25million.
Waldringfield Golf Course owner Derek Morrella said he hoped whoever took it over would get as much enjoyment out of the 18-hole course as he had.
He said: “I purchased Waldringfield as a retirement project in 2003, and have spent the last 10 years improving the course, buildings, irrigation and machinery.
“I am proud that the 2014 Suffolk Open Championship will be held here, which is testament to the quality of our work.
“It is, however, time to pass on the baton to a new owner who I hope will enjoy the experience as much as I have.”
You may also want to watch:
Agents Savills has been appointed to sell the course, which sits on the edge of Waldringfield, on the west bank of the River Deben.
The golf course lies within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, occupying an attractive area of well-drained former heathland, which has both areas of gorse but also mature trees.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 9 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 10 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
It was first opened as a nine-hole course in 1983, and was extended to the current 18-hole, 6,046 yard, par 71 layout in 1987.
The 88-acre site includes an 11,378sq ft purpose-built clubhouse with extensive function rooms used for social occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, dinner dances, and retirement parties, able to cater for 130 sit-down guests or 250 at a buffet.
There is also a separate 848sq ft golf professional’s shop, and a modern greenkeeper’s building.
Ian Simpson, director at Savills Oxford, said the course and its setting was popular and particularly attracted golfers from other clubs some distance away.
He said: “The sale of Waldringfield Golf Course offers the opportunity to own a mature heathland course in an attractive and accessible location, with modern, well equipped buildings.
“These are key features for any golf business in today’s market and Waldringfield has them all.”