Tea and sugar giveaway to be revived
A FURNITURE store is to turn back the clock for one day only to revive a once popular tradition as it celebrates its 60th anniversary.
A FURNITURE store is to turn back the clock for one day only to revive a once popular tradition.
December 9 will be a special day at Glasswells World of Furniture in Bury St. Edmunds, when anybody aged 65 years or over can benefit from a free gift.
As part of its 60th anniversary celebrations, Glasswells has decided to resurrect an event which delighted shoppers at the company's store in the town every year from 1954 to 1984.
The Glasswells' Great Tea and Sugar Give Away saw pensioners turning up at the store, for one day only, to claim their bags and boxes of the goods.
You may also want to watch:
The tradition started when Jerry Glasswell, the founder of the business, provided free tea and sugar to pensioners as a token of appreciation and thanks for their continued business. Jerry and his son Leslie opened their first Glasswells store in Brentgovel Street back in 1946.
This generosity continued until Jerry's death in 1984 and now, some 22 years later, Jerry's grandson Paul Glasswell has decided to resurrect the event one more time to help celebrate the firms 60th anniversary.
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 3 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 4 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 8 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
- 9 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 10 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
Mr Glasswell said: “This will be the finale of a fantastic year for Glasswells, where we have reminisced about events that have happened over the last 60 years and celebrated our achievements.
“Saturday, December 9 will be a fun event where we are hoping to see plenty of our current customers and, hopefully, a few who have a some Glasswells stories to tell.”
Everyone is welcome and each person over the age of 65 years old, with proof of age, will receive 1kg of sugar and 40 tea bags. In addition free money off vouchers will also be distributed for use on items bought in the store.
For more information about the event, call Glasswells on 01284 752 804.