Suffolk couple overjoyed as cafe named among world's best
- Credit: The Angel
A Suffolk couple are celebrating after their cafe in Needham Market was recognised among the best in the world by Tripadvisor.
Marc Rogers and his partner Hannah, who run The Angel in High Street alongside staff member Rob, are all overjoyed after the travel website gave them a Travellers' Choice Award.
The award, granted annually by the worldwide travel website, recognises venues such as restaurants and cafes who are among the best 10% in the world for their customer reviews.
Mr Rogers, who has been a chef for more than 20 years, said the award is a "real boost" to him and the team.
Mr Rogers said: "It came as a real surprise.
"After the year we've had, it was certainly unexpected to say the least.
"We are so glad just to have survived the pandemic, so to be awarded for what we do feels really good."
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 8 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 9 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 10 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
The couple had only took on the cafe in late 2019, with plans to expand it into a bistro before the onset of the pandemic.
However, it adapted well to the takeaway service, finding a gap in the local market with gourmet burgers, waffles, ice cream milkshakes and afternoon teas.
Their customer base has since continued to grow, with the cafe regularly being fully booked by hungry locals.
Mr Rogers said it is the good food and friendly customer service which has people coming back for more.
He said: "The support we have received from the local community since Covid hit has been amazing.
"We have so many regulars who come in, and Hannah is already making their drinks before they've sat down.
"During lockdown we had people coming back every Friday for their takeaway, calling a week in advance to secure their slot. Now we're open again, our special tapas or steak nights are fully booked within a couple of hours of advertising them.
"We offer locally-sourced, home-cooked food at affordable prices – nothing gets chucked in the microwave.
"The award is just a real boost to the team for all the hard work we have put in."