The Lampshade Company from Colchester named as The One for 2015
- Credit: Archant
The Lampshade Company, based in Colchester, has been named as winner of The One competition for 2015.
The One, now in its sixth year, is run by founder Nichola Cain, managing director of Essex-based Voice Communications, together with a range of other business service providers who together offer their support in a prize package for a start-up or early-stage business identified as having outstanding potential.
Mother-of-two Angela Berry started The Lampshade Company in her spare bedroom in 2011, selling through an online shop on eBay, before commissioning a purpose-built studio and taking on her first employees.
Earlier this year the company received the Best Bespoke Lighting Product accolade in the Global Product and Service Awards and was also a finalist in the Best Product category at the National Mumpreneur Awards.
As winner of The One Competition, the company will receive a prize package of business support worth more than £35,000, consisting of PR and social media consultancy from Voice Communications, design consultancy from Phelan Barker, website consultancy from Rubber Cheese, on-line marketing from Climbing Trees, accountancy advice from LB Group, MyRuby call answering service for a year, a Leadership and Management coaching package from Julie Clements and legal support from Goody Burrett LLP.
Angela said: “I am absolutely speechless and delighted to be the winner of The One Competition. Having the £35,000 prize package of business support is going to make a huge difference to my business.
“Winning the competition means that I will be able to move the business forward at a faster pace than ever before and will make my goals more reachable.”
- 1 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 2 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
- 3 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk cinema to allow dog owners to bring their pets to watch films
- 5 Suspected wanted man chased through Suffolk village
- 6 Former Town striker Chopra out of retirement to join non-league club
- 7 Revealed: The most isolated villages in Suffolk
- 8 'Abandoned' cottage and studio up for sale after huge renovation
- 9 Body of woman found in river in Hadleigh
- 10 The Range secures huge logistics hub at new A14 business park
The Lampshade Company was one of eight fanalists in this year’s competition, which was open to firms in Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire which have been running for up to five years.
Finalists were invited to make a presentation to a panel of judges about their business and how they would be able to use the prize to take it forward.
Nichola Cain said: “This year we found it very tough to choose a winner as all the finalists were of such a high calibre but The Lampshade Company showed great passion, vision and Angela demonstrated all the entrepreneurial qualities we look for in The One. Angela has such a great product and vision for the future, every judge feels The Lampshade Company is a unique brand to work with and we are all very excited to get started.”