The Swan Inn in Hoxne to reopen on Thursday
A Suffolk village’s only pub is to reopen on Thursday – after being closed for more than a year.
The Swan Inn in Hoxne, which is owned by Enterprise Inns, has been taken over by husband and wife Darren and Angela Turner.
Coincidentally, the Swan was the first pub the couple, from Yorkshire, ever went to in the county, five years ago.
Mr Turner, who started as a packer driver at Smith News before working his way up to operations director, said: “We said wouldn’t it be nice to own our own traditional country pub – little did we know we’d be doing it.”
The couple, who will be living in the pub with their twins Beth and Ben, both nine, will be hosting the St Patrick’s Day-themed launch night from 6pm, which will feature live traditional Irish music and a hog roast.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Turner said: “I took my redundancy package as I’d had enough of corporate life, so we said lets do something for ourselves.”
Before moving to the pub, the family had lived in Eye. While Mr Turner will run the pub full time, Mrs Turner will continue as a part time nurse.
- 1 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 2 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 3 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
- 9 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Judge tells jury majority verdict allowed
Mr Turner said: “We want the community back again.
“Their support has been fantastic – I think they are going to be queuing out the door on Thursday, it will be standing room only.
“We feel so honoured to be here. I don’t want to go back to corporate life.”