Tourism is worth more than £3.1billion to the Essex economy annually
- Credit: Getty Images
From a day on the beach to country walks, shopping and historic homes - Essex is a tourist haven.
Tourism is a massive earner for the county of Essex and a big employer too.
In 2016 it was worth £3.1b to the local economy (up 2% on 2015 figures), employing more than 60,863 in the county in tourism and related jobs.
It represents 8,8% of the total workforce in the county, and is up 3.1% on the previous year.
The county which has attractions from the countyside to the coast, including heritage sitesm historic homes and shopping, is having an increasing number of day visitors and holidaymakers.
You may also want to watch:
The figures for 2016 revealed a total of 51,609,037 day trips and holidays in Essex - including 49m day trips.
The figures were reported to the Visit Essex Conference held at the Holiday Inn at Southend Airport.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 3 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 4 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 5 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 6 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 9 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
Totals for 2017 are still be calculated but there have been increases in some areas, including shopping and leisure.
Presentations included Lisa Bone, strategic tourism manager, on plans to boost tourism further in 2018.
While John Till from Thinking Places got down to the nitty gritty of Southend On Sea, working with locals and visitors in a project initiated by Southend Borough -Council and Visit Essex.