UK: Sheep sector is at ‘rock bottom’
LIVESTOCK representatives from the UK farming unions said confidence in the sheep sector is at “rock bottom”.
A summit was called in London on Tuesday to discuss the on-going challenges facing the sheep industry following a challenging year for producers. Farms have been hit by poor weather, a longer finishing period, rising costs, disease challenges and a marked drop in lamb prices over the past year.
“Confidence in the sheep sector is at rock bottom. Factors such as the weather, rising costs and disease are contributing to make the ‘perfect storm’ and farmers are being left to produce lamb at less than the cost of production,” the unions said in a joint statement afterwards.
The summit heard from French, Spanish and Irish farming unions who outlined many of the same concerns.
“All four UK unions have committed to pull together to address the challenge farmers in countries across the EU are facing from cheap New Zealand imports and pressure on farm margins. We believe there is scope to review Specified Risk Material (SRM) controls which devalue older lambs and we would also urge the UK processing sector to take more of a lead to improve transparency for producers in the deadweight lamb market.
You may also want to watch:
“Despite the troubling times, we believe there are grounds for optimism in the long term. We know our lamb is in demand both at home and abroad but the industry must regain its confidence to invest in the future if we are to exploit these opportunities.”
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 9 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 10 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week