Vergo workers win compensation claim
SHOPWORKERS union Usdaw has won compensation worth nearly two months’ pay for each of its members made redundant following the collapse of Vergo Retail in May last year.
Usdaw made a claim on behalf of its members and an Employment Tribunal in Liverpool has now awarded them compensation of eight weeks’ pay, the maximum payable in the circumstances.
John Hannett, Usdaw general secretary, said: “We are delighted with the tribunal decision and while the award can never fully compensate for staff losing their jobs, I’m sure our members will welcome the money and appreciate the effort Usdaw has made to secure this compensation for them.
“Cases like these really demonstrate the value of belonging to a trade union.”
The ruling affects members who worked at former East of England Co-op department and household stores which were sold to Vergo in 2009, only a year before the company collapsed.
You may also want to watch:
The East of England Co-op has already paid compensation, on a voluntary basis, to long-serving former staff who lost their jobs following Vergo’s collapse.
Vergo staff who will receive compensation worked at stores in locations including Clacton, Colchester, Felixstowe, Gt Yarmouth, Harwich, Ipswich, Norwich, Stowmarket and Witham.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 6 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 7 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 8 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 9 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
Staff from five Vergo stores in the South-West and North-West will also benefit.
As Vergo is in administration, responsibility for the payments rests with the Government’s Redundancy Payments Office.