Why Suffolk brewery St Peter’s is backing ‘Dry January’
- Credit: Lee Blanchflower
A Suffolk brewing company is to be an unlikely participant in a supermarket promotion being launched to mark next month’s “Dry January” campaign.
Dry January, which is led by the Alcohol Concern charity, encourages drinkers to abstain from alcohol for a full month following the festive season.
Supermarket giant Tesco is running a three-week promotion, from January 2 until January 22, offering discounts on non/low alcohol drinks at 750 of its stores.
And among the products included will be Without Original, the first of three zero alcohol beers launched over the past two years by St Peter’s Brewery, based near Bungay.
“Dry January is a very important time for us,” said Steve Magnall, chief executive at St Peter’s. “There are many breweries across the UK launching what they describe as alcohol-free beers but in reality most are 0.5% alcohol.
“Our Without brand is the only zero alcohol craft ale in the UK and promotions such as these with Tesco are a fantastic way for us to redefine our position as the number one.”
The Without range also includes Without Gold and the newly-launched Without Organic. Without Original already features at a number of Tesco stores but the promotion will result in exposure at an additional 193 sites.
- 1 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 2 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
- 3 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most isolated villages in Suffolk
- 5 Body of woman found in river in Hadleigh
- 6 Suffolk cinema to allow dog owners to bring their pets to watch films
- 7 Suspected wanted man chased through Suffolk village
- 8 Former Town striker Chopra out of retirement to join non-league club
- 9 'Abandoned' cottage and studio up for sale after huge renovation
- 10 The Range secures huge logistics hub at new A14 business park
Mr Magnall added: “We are looking forward to seeing sales of Without® Original spike during the Dry January promotion, and we hope to secure new customers to the brand.”