Wickham Market: Town Team recruits staff to attract more stall holders and visitors to monthly market
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of a monthly market in east Suffolk are recruiting staff to attract more visitors and stall-holders to their events.
Wickham Market Town Team revived the monthly markets last June as part of wider plans to regenerate the village centre.
After a promising launch, the events have suffered declining visitor numbers as fewer stall-holders return each month.
Town Team member Jacquie Errington said the new appointment would be responsible for restoring the market’s success, by attracting new traders and shoppers from neighbouring villages.
“We feel that if we can find someone with the drive and enthusiasm to help bring more stalls this will help enormously,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had a number of different people dealing with different aspects of the market and so the idea is to co-ordinate their efforts under one role.
“We want to return to the sorts of market sizes we had last summer and to increase footfall.”
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 3 Woman's body found in village home
- 4 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 5 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 6 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 7 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 8 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 9 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 10 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
The market is held on the third Wednesday of the month in the car park in The Hill. At its most popular, around 10 stall-holders would set up each month, however less than half that number attended May’s event.
Ms Errington said the part-time role, paid depending on performance, would suit someone recently retired, looking to stay active.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. The next market is on Wednesday, June 18.