New product for the Royal sport of pigeon racing
- Credit: PATS
Bury St Edmunds-based Harkers, and sister company Petlife International, had a successful return to Telford International Centre for the PATS International show which is visited by hundreds of pet retailers, suppliers and businesses in the pet trade.
Harkers was an award winner at the show in the new product showcase.
Harkers has a unique niche in the animal care market - supplying products for pigeon racing and for use by pigeon fanciers, for pigeon racing, which continues to be a popular sport and hobby in the UK.
Despite the rise of other hobbies, pigeon racing and other outdoor activities continue to thrive.
There are reckoned to be around 60,000 pigeon fanciers across the country, with more than 42,000 actively keeping and racing their pigeons. Her Majesty the Queen keeps racing pigeons in her lofts at Sandringham and is a patron of racing clubs.
You may also want to watch:
Each year one million pigeon leg rings are issued by the Royal Pigeon Racing Association for racing purposes.
Harkers won an award in the show’s New Product Showcase – winning the prize for the bird product with their Harkers 4 in 1 Soluble, beating some tough competition.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 4 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 5 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 6 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 10 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
It is a treatment for racing pigeons.
Harkers 4 in 1 Soluble is for the treatment and prevention of canker, coccidiosis, worms and external parasites (lice and mites), via the drinking water and reduces the need for administration of multiple medicines.
James Hancock, sales and marketing director for Petlife and Harkers said:“This bird health product fulfils a need in the market, it is easy to administer and has clear instructions on usage. It will also have a long shelf life.
“We are thrilled to win the PATS New Product Showcase Award for best bird product – Harkers 4 in 1 Soluble for pigeons is the result of tireless research and innovation, and the award is recognition of all the hard work and dedication that the entire Petlife and Harkers team display on a daily basis.”
Petlife International and Harkers employ 42 people at its sites in Bury St Edmunds, Wales and South Witham.
At the show the team also unveiled their 2018 Christmas Vetbed range, featuring a charcoal with snowmen design, as well as a light blue with white and dark blue swirls and snowflakes and a catchy “I believe in Santa Paws” design – all being very well received.
The team are now gearing up for the London Vet Show November 15-16 at the ExCel, before a busy Christmas period.