Woodbridge/Writtle: Student’s delight at scholarship boost
- Credit: Archant
Writtle College horticulture student James Hayley has been awarded a national scholarship from a horticultural charity.
The 27-year-old, who lives near Woodbridge, is one of only six students across the country to be given the Student Scholarship from the David Colegrave Foundation (DCF).
Students from 18 colleges across the UK applied for the bursary this year. The charity said that the standard of entries was particularly high, resulting in it electing to award six student scholarships of £1,000 instead of an intended five.
James, who is in his third year of a BSc (Hons) Horticulture at the Chelmsford-based college, said: “I cannot tell you how much of a difference this will make to me.
“Thanks to the David Colegrave Foundation I shall be able to focus 100% on my studies over these next few very important months.”
You may also want to watch:
Senior lecturer Sandra Nicholson said: “This is great news for James. We are very grateful for the support that the David Colegrave Foundation offers our students.”
DCF chairman Jeff Colegrave said: “We received a promising number of entries this year from students with varying interests in horticulture surrounding growing, retailing, landscaping, pathology and technology. There were a number of stand-out applications which is why we chose to award an additional Student Scholarship. As always we now look forward to following each student on their journey.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 3 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 4 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 5 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 6 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 7 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 8 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 9 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
For more details on the scholarship visit www.davidcolegravefoundation.org.uk