Greene King wins champion beer of Britain for its XX mild
- Credit: Archant
Bury St Edmunds-based brewer Greene King has won a major award for its XX Mild.
For it has been hailed the Champion Beer of Britain in the mild beers category at the annual Great British Beer Festival, held at London’s Olympia.
The gold award was announced at the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) festival at London Olympia after blind tasting by some of the UK’s most respected beer experts.
Greene King XX Mild was nominated by CAMRA members in East Anglia and was a winner of the regional best mild following blind tasting of beers in the category earlier this year.
And as a regional winner it was then put into the final, up against mild beers from all other areas of Britain.
You may also want to watch:
In second place was Dark, by Rhymney Brewery, in Wales, and third was East London Brewing Co’s Orchid.
Greene King XX Mild (3.0%) is described as a cask mild with a smooth, sweet and roasted flavour.
- 1 Covid vaccines cancelled at four Suffolk centres today – this is why
- 2 'Dedicated' volunteer police officer dies after having Covid-19
- 3 New cheese afternoon tea launched in Suffolk
- 4 Huge numbers of Covid vaccine bookings in Suffolk
- 5 Floods as river bursts its banks at beauty spot
- 6 Ipswich closing in on Thomas signing, as club await Harrop medical results
- 7 Three fined for breaching Covid rules after reports of 'gathering'
- 8 Where Ipswich Town are at with ins and outs during the January transfer window
- 9 Latest 'R rate' shows coronavirus still spreading in region
- 10 Suffolk coronavirus vaccine concerns – your questions answered
According to Greene King brewing records dating back to 1888, mild was a popular brew at that time with the mild recipe from 1933 remarkably similar to the one used today.
The ebony coloured beer, which is brewed with pale, crystal and black malt alongside Challenger and Goldings hops has a light chocolate aroma. With its lightly bitter, burnt caramel aftertaste is easy to drink and packed full of flavour.
Speaking following the win Matt Starbuck, managing director, Greene King Brewing & Brands said: “We are delighted by this win which proves what many of our customers regularly tells us; XX Mild is a truly delicious beer and perfect for enjoying with friends, served fresh at your local.
“Our XX Mild is one of our longest standing beers, brewed with a similar recipe to the one used nearly hundred years ago. The fact that it has won this award shows that beers with heritage and quality really do stand the test of time and can often be the best.”