Busy weekend for emergency crews

EMERGENCY crews have had a busy weekend dealing with a spate of crashes on Suffolk roads.

EMERGENCY crews have had a busy weekend dealing with a spate of crashes on Suffolk roads.

In one of the most serious, a teenager was airlifted to hospital after a smash in west Suffolk.

Firefighters had to cut two young men from their vehicle after a collision with another car in Glemsford, near Sudbury, on Saturday afternoon.

The young man, believed to be about 18 years old and from the village, was today said to have suffered a fractured pelvis and spine injuries.

He was airlifted from the scene to West Suffolk Hospital and was due to be transferred to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital today.

The other person trapped in the green Subaru Impreza, a 24-year-old man, was taken by land ambulance to the Bury St Edmunds-based hospital with a leg injury.

Most Read

On the same day, two cars were involved in a head-on collision on the A140 near Little Stonham.

Firefighters were forced to remove the roof of the car to free two casualties trapped inside.

An air ambulance took one man to hospital from the crash scene at Pains Hill but his injuries are no longer thought to be serious.

This morning a woman in her 60s was arrested on suspicion of drink driving after a single car crash in Swilland.

The accident happened in High Road in the village at about 8.40am.

Meanwhile this afternoon a car collided with an electricity pole in Crowfield - splitting the pole in two. The accident happened at about 2.30pm in Debenham Road, near the Rose pub.

The Fiat Toledo hit the pole after its tyre burst, and the pole fell on the ground, causing an electrical hazard and shutting the road. No one was hurt in the crash.

In Snape today about 4.40pm a Ford Fiesta hit a tree and the female driver of the car suffered head injuries, while the male passenger hurt his leg.

They were both taken to hospital but it is not yet known how serious their injuries are.

Finally a two car collision in Fornham St Martin today closed the road for more than an hour while fire crews mopped up a fuel spillage.

One person has been taken to West Suffolk complaining of a hip injury and a wound with glass in it.