Candidates line up in Suffolk and north Essex ahead of General Election 2015 - full list here
- Credit: Archant
Candidates from all five major national parties are standing in every parliamentary seat across the region, it has been revealed today.
Most have had their candidates in place for several months – the last candidates were selected by their parties during the last few weeks.
The full list of candidates, published today, also details a few independent candidates who have stumped up the £500 deposit they need to stand – and which will be lost if they fail to gain 5% of the vote at the General Election on May 7.
The main battlegrounds in this region are in Ipswich and Waveney where Labour is fighting hard to regain Suffolk’s two marginal seats.
Ben Gummer and Peter Aldous will be defending them against David Ellesmere and Bob Blizzard.
You may also want to watch:
Other seats where there are intense fights include Clacton, which the Tories will be hoping to regain from UKIP’s Douglas Carswell, and Colchester where veteran LibDem Sir Bob Russell will be hoping to see off a Conservative challenge again.
There is also special interest in the safe Conservative seats of Braintree, South Suffolk and Bury St Edmunds where there will be a new MP elected following the departures of Brooks Newmark, Tim Yeo and David Ruffley.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
James Cleverley (C), Malcolm Finken (Lab), Matthew Kiesel (LD), Richard Bingley (UKIP), Paul Jeater (G), Paul Hooks (BNP), Toby Pereira (Ind).
Bury St Edmunds
Jo Churchill (C), Bill Edwards (Lab), David Chappell (LD), John Howlett (UKIP), Helen Geake (G).
Central Suffolk and North Ipswich
Dr Dan Poulter (C)*, Jack Abbott (Lab), Jon Neal (LD), Mark Cole (UKIP), Rhodri Griffiths (G), Toby Holyoak (ED).
Giles Watling (C), Tim Young (Lab), David Grace (LD), Douglas Carswell (UKIP)*, Chris Southall (G).
Will Quince (C), Jordan Newell (Lab), Sir Bob Russell (LD)*, John Pitts (UKIP), Mark Goacher (G), Ken Scrimshaw (CPA).
Harwich and North Essex
Bernard Jenkin (C)*, Edward Carlsson Brown (Lab), Dominic Graham (LD), Mark Hughes (UKIP), Christopher Flossman (G).
Ben Gummer (C)*, David Ellesmere (Lab), Chika Akinwale (LD), Maria Vigneau (UKIP), Barry Broom (G).
James Cartlidge (C), Jane Basham (Lab), Grace Weaver (LD), Steven Whalley (UKIP), Robert Lindsay (G), Stephen Todd (CPA).
Dr Therese Coffey (C)*, Russell Whiting (Lab), James Sandbach (LD), Daryll Pitcher (UKIP), Rachel Smith-Lyte (G).
Peter Aldous (C)*, Bob Blizzard (Lab), Stephen Gordon (LD), Simon Tobin (UKIP), Graham Elliott (G).
Matthew Hancock (C)*, Michael Jeffreys (Lab), Elfreda Tealby-Watson (LD), Julian Flood (UKIP), Niall Pettitt (G).
Priti Patel (C)*, John Clarke (Lab), Josephine Hayes (LD), Garry Cockrill (UKIP), James Abbott (G), Doreen Scrimshaw (CPA).
Key: C Conservative, Lab Labour, LD Liberal Democrat, UKIP United Kingdom Independence Party, G Green, CPA Christian People’s Alliance, G Green. BNP British National Party.