Heavy Showers

Heavy Showers

max temp: 22°C

min temp: 12°C

Search

Warning after candle sparks destructive house fire in Great Notley

PUBLISHED: 14:21 26 June 2018 | UPDATED: 14:21 26 June 2018

The aftermath of a fire in Ploughmans Lane, Great Notley Picture: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE

The aftermath of a fire in Ploughmans Lane, Great Notley Picture: ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE

ESSEX COUNTY FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE

Two families have been left homeless after a fire believed to have been started by a candle destroyed their houses.

Firefighters were called to a blaze at a semi-detached property in Ploughmans Lane, Great Notley, near Braintree, around 6.50pm yesterday.

A neighbour called 999 and alerted the occupant after spotting smoke coming from the roof, fire officials said.

When the first fire crews arrived they reported that the whole roof was on fire.

The flames spread to the neighbouring property.

One woman who suffered slight smoke inhalation and minor burns was left in the care of the ambulance service.

The blaze was extinguished by 9.40pm.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service sent five vehicles: two from Braintree, one each from Coggeshall and Chelmsford and the aerial ladder platform from Colchester.

Watch Manager Stuart Hay said: “The house where the fire started has suffered severe damage to its roof and first floor. The adjoining house has suffered damage to their roof and some water damage. Both houses have been left uninhabitable.

“The fire is thought to have been started by a candle. It is very important to take extra care when using candles, and we urge everyone to read our candle fire safety advice:”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists