Car blaze spreads to workshop
FIREFIGHTERS tackled a fierce blaze in a vehicle workshop which threatened to spread to nearby buildings.Crews from Braintree were sent to Rayne Hall Farm in Shalford Road, Rayne, after a car fire started inside the workshop.
By Annie Davidson
FIREFIGHTERS tackled a fierce blaze in a vehicle workshop which threatened to spread to nearby buildings.
Crews from Braintree were sent to Rayne Hall Farm in Shalford Road, Rayne, after a car fire started inside the workshop.
Steve Wintrip, Braintree station officer, said the firefighters could see the smoke from a mile away as they drove to the scene at Saturday lunchtime.
After arriving at the farm they called for further assistance and two crews from Dunmow fire station were sent out.
But crews were then forced to fight the flames from outside as the building became more unstable and was in danger of collapse.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 3 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 4 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 5 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 6 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 7 'Gutted to see the gaffer go' - Norwood on Cook sacking
- 8 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 9 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 10 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
The workshop was next to a antique furniture storage shed but the firefighters managed to stop the blaze spreading into the building.
Mr Wintrip said: “When we arrived the workshop was about 70% alight and the fire was spreading rapidly but we managed to stop it going into the other buildings.
“The crews worked very hard to stop the spread.”
He added: “We could see the fire as we were proceeding to it because the smoke conditions were quite severe, it could be seen from a mile away.”
Three pressurised gas cylinders exploded during the operation but luckily did not contain any gas.
Firefighters also had to obtain extra water from a hydrant on the main Rayne road and from a nearby pond to make sure all the hoses had an adequate supply.
It is believed the fire began accidentally in a Ford Capri which was being worked on and then spread to the rest of the workshop.
The owners tried to tackle the blaze themselves while waiting for fire crews.
It was out by 2.30pm but firefighters stayed for an extra two hours damping down at the scene.