Car fire on A14 causing traffic disruption
- Credit: Tom Potter
A car fire on the A14 at Beyton near Bury St Edmunds caused traffic disruption this morning, police confirmed.
Officers received a call from a motorist at 11am reporting the incident, which was close to the Thurston Road junction 46.
The burning vehicle - a Volvo V50 estate diesel - which was partially on the hard shoulder, blocked one lane of the dual carriageway westbound. There were no reported injuries.
A Suffolk police spokesman said the lane had been closed at 11.10am. The fire service was called to the scene and the highways agency was notified due to diesel spillage on the carriageway.
Because of the lane closure, the police spokesman said some motorists had reportedly been turning their vehicles around and driving back the wrong way up the carriageway. He urged motorists to be patient.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is not yet known.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 Elections 2021: Tim Passmore re-elected Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner
- 10 Inside Suffolk's own Repair Shop