Care home volunteer scheme officially launched in Colchester
- Credit: Su Anderson
A new campaign encouraging people to volunteer in care homes has been officially launched at a Colchester sheltered accommodation scheme.
The Friends and Neighbours (FaNs) initiative has been set up by My Home Life Essex Community Association, supported by Essex County Council and Age UK Essex.
It invites individuals or community groups to spend time with care home residents talking to them, making them laugh, and allowing them the social experience they may not be able to otherwise enjoy.
There is no formal commitment and people can do as much or as little as they want.
The scheme was launched at the Freda Gunton Lodge in Colchester on Thursday afternoon with a celebration event.
You may also want to watch:
Several groups have already signed up to the campaign and pledged to be FaNs ambassadors, encouraging others to take part, including Colchester United, Essex University Students’ Union and Essex Fire and Rescue Service.
Jan Lockyer, FaNs programme manager, said: “We are really excited to see this campaign come to life.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 4 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 5 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 6 Woman's body found in village home
- 7 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
“The generous help and extra resources that care homes can get from their local community is great, and the benefits are felt not only by the residents and the care home, but also by the volunteers themselves.”
Find out more about FaNs at www.fansnetwork.org.