Care home volunteer scheme officially launched in Colchester
- Credit: Su Anderson
A new campaign encouraging people to volunteer in care homes has been officially launched at a Colchester sheltered accommodation scheme.
The Friends and Neighbours (FaNs) initiative has been set up by My Home Life Essex Community Association, supported by Essex County Council and Age UK Essex.
It invites individuals or community groups to spend time with care home residents talking to them, making them laugh, and allowing them the social experience they may not be able to otherwise enjoy.
There is no formal commitment and people can do as much or as little as they want.
The scheme was launched at the Freda Gunton Lodge in Colchester on Thursday afternoon with a celebration event.
Several groups have already signed up to the campaign and pledged to be FaNs ambassadors, encouraging others to take part, including Colchester United, Essex University Students’ Union and Essex Fire and Rescue Service.
Jan Lockyer, FaNs programme manager, said: “We are really excited to see this campaign come to life.
- 1 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 2 A14 westbound closed after car catches fire
- 3 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 4 Town in negotiations with Aberdeen over Hladky sale
- 5 Rogue trader in white van visits homes in west Suffolk
- 6 Ipswich Town appoint new Academy Manager
- 7 'Eyesore' Suffolk seafront hotel for sale for £2million
- 8 Stuart Taylor sacked by Hamilton
- 9 Project to keep Suffolk pub 'protected for years' turned down
- 10 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
“The generous help and extra resources that care homes can get from their local community is great, and the benefits are felt not only by the residents and the care home, but also by the volunteers themselves.”
Find out more about FaNs at www.fansnetwork.org.