Holiday park launches investigation into pool chemical leak
PUBLISHED: 14:50 11 August 2020 | UPDATED: 16:35 11 August 2020
A Suffolk holiday park has launched an investigation after two children were taken to hospital due to excess chlorine pumped into its pool.
A large-scale emergency services response was launched at the Carlton Meres Holiday park on Monday, August 10 after higher levels of the chemical were found in the swimming pool.
Four ambulances and six fire engines attended the scene, near Saxmundham, and a dry decontamination of the area took place.
Two children were taken to hospital for treatment, while a further four adults were treated at the scene by paramedics.
They said: “We are currently undertaking an internal investigation at Carlton Meres Holiday Park as to how a small quantity of excess chlorine was discharged into the park’s swimming pool while it was in use by holiday guests.
“The amount of chlorine is not believed to have been sufficient to have posed any serious risk to those present, but as a precautionary measure, seven people were assessed at the scene by the ambulance service, and two infants were taken into hospital for observation.”
The spokesman said the leisure centre and pool at the park have since reopened after a full assessment by an Environmental Health officer.
They added: “We are sorry for any distress caused to those involved and for the interruption made to guests’ holidays.”
An update on the condition of the children has not been disclosed.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.