Woman killed in car crash on country road
- Credit: ©Archant Photographic 2010
A woman has died following a car crash on a country road in the early hours of Friday morning.
The crash happened on the A1092, between Cavendish and Clare, near Sudbury, at about 12.15am.
Police closed the road for several hours overnight but confirmed the closure had been lifted at 7.15am.
The collision involved a single vehicle – a Vauxhall Corsa travelling in the direction of Cavendish.
The vehicle collided with the roadside bank, according to police.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said: “Emergency services attended the scene and the road was closed until about 7.15am while initial investigations were conducted.
“A woman in her early 30s sadly died at the scene. She was the sole occupant of the car and no-one else was hurt.”
- 1 Car catches fire outside Morrisons store in Ipswich
- 2 Parents 'distraught' after teenage boy is violently assaulted in Chantry
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 Campaign against two more solar farms gathers strength in Suffolk villages
- 5 New outdoor theatre hopes to bring post lockdown performances to the woods
- 6 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 7 Ipswich consider striker signing after Hawkins undergoes surgery
- 8 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 9 Suffolk Covid rates declining, but increased deaths expected
- 10 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
Community leaders expressed their shock and sadness over the crash.
Mary Evans, Suffolk county councillor for Clare and Cavendish, said: “When news filtered out this morning, I think everybody was really shocked.
“It’s just a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the family and friends of this young woman.
“It’s really sad, these accidents are such a shock.”
West Suffolk councillor Peter Stevens, who lives in Cavendish, said the village’s tight-knit community would be saddened to hear of the fatal crash.
He said: “We’re quite a large community and the flow of traffic in the morning is quite heavy. Because it was a very foggy morning, everyone seemed a bit out of touch because of the frost and fog.
“I haven’t heard whether the victim was local or not, but it is tragic when something like this happens.”
Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101, quoting CAD 4 of November 27.
The crash followed another fatal collision at Harwich port shortly before 5.10pm on Thursday.
A man in his 50s died after being struck by a lorry at Harwich International Port.
Meanwhile, a cyclist remains critically injured but in a stable condition in hospital after being involved in a collision with a lorry on a roundabout off the A14.
Emergency services were called to Kirton Road, at the roundabout with the junction of the A14 eastbound off-slip, in Trimley St Martin following the incident around 10.45am on Thursday.
Any witnesses to the A14 collision are asked to contact 101, quoting CAD 98 of November 26.