Cavendish: Inspiring Doris, 102, celebrates special day
A WOMAN who always dealt with the problems life threw at her with the philosophy “something will turn up” has celebrated her 102nd birthday.
Doris Barnes, who is a resident at the Devonshire Care Home, in Cavendish, had four generations of her family with her on her big day on Friday.
Mrs Barnes has three children, Brian, aged 77, Graham, 70, and Marilyn, 66, along with 11 grandchildren and 21 great grandchildren.
She shared her family with her husband Harold, who were married for more than 60 years, before he died 17 years ago.
Daughter Marilyn Goodman, 66, who lives in Stoke-by-Clare, said: “My mum has always been a strong woman and she would always know how to deal with things.
You may also want to watch:
“When she did not know what to do she would just say – something will turn up – and it did.”
The great-grandmother, who was born in Hackney, but spent most of her life in Essex, married her husband, who worked for the city police, in 1930.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 7 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 8 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 9 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 10 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
Mrs Barnes gave up work in an office to dedicate her life to her family.
She became a resident at Devonshire Care Home, in July last year, but she broke her hip in May this year and her family feared the worse but she came back fighting.
Mrs Goodman, who has been married for 45 years, said: “She is doing really well for her age apart from some problems with dementia.
“She cannot believe she has reached 102.”
Mrs Barnes celebrated her birthday with family visits all weekend.