Centenarian’s birthday Bentley ride
WHEN Fred Roberts said his birthday wish was to own a vintage Bentley car, the 99-year-old was probably not expecting to be whisked around the Suffolk countryside as a passenger in the British classic on the day he turned 100.
But this Sunday his family rented a three litre, 1923 Bentley – a car which would have been driven out of the Bentley factory when Mr Roberts was just 13 – to celebrate the birthday milestone along with his telegram from the Queen.
With his seven grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren watching, Mr Roberts, a retired heating and ventilating engineer, cruised up the driveway to the Ickworth Hotel in the open-topped car, following his hour-long cruise around the country lanes.
He was then treated to a birthday meal and party at the hotel.
His daughter Christine Fenby said: “When we asked him what he wanted for his birthday he said a vintage Bentley.
You may also want to watch:
“Well, we couldn’t quite afford that so we thought the best thing was to make sure he got to be a passenger in one. He had a fabulous time and really enjoyed it.”
Mr Roberts moved to Abbeyfield sheltered housing in Clare shortly before his 98th birthday from his home in Leeds where he had lived all his life.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 9 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo