Century Cinema in Clacton evacuated after fire and remains closed tonight
- Credit: Archant
A cinema in Clacton was evacuated today after a fire broke out in a projection room.
The blaze at Century Cinema, which reportedly started in the roof, was reported at around 3pm.
The cinema in Pier Avenue, which dates back to the 1930s, was evacuated before three fire engines arrived at the scene.
The blaze was put out by 4.15pm and no injuries have been reported.
The fire reportedly broke out in the roof of screen two.
You may also want to watch:
A statement on the cinema’s website says: “Due to technical issues, we are closed today but will hopefully re-open tomorrow. Sorry for any inconvenience.”
The cinema has two screens – screen one has 472 seats and screen two has 144 seats.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 3 Woman's body found in village home
- 4 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 10 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
According to Century Cinema’s website, the cinema was refurbished in June 2013 and upgraded with air conditioning.
Located above the Gala Bingo Hall, the cinema originally opened in 1936 with 1,743 seats.
In 1967, the cinema was split into the bingo hall and two screens.
Century Cinema is not responding to requests for further information.
An Essex County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Firefighters were called to a fire in a cinema projection room. Crews wore breathing apparatus and used one hose reel to extinguish the fire.
“Crews reported that the cinema had been evacuated. Crews extinguished the fire at 4.16pm.”
Three fire engines from Clacton, Weeley and Brightlingsea attended the incident.