Century Cinema in Clacton evacuated after fire and remains closed tonight
- Credit: Archant
A cinema in Clacton was evacuated today after a fire broke out in a projection room.
The blaze at Century Cinema, which reportedly started in the roof, was reported at around 3pm.
The cinema in Pier Avenue, which dates back to the 1930s, was evacuated before three fire engines arrived at the scene.
The blaze was put out by 4.15pm and no injuries have been reported.
The fire reportedly broke out in the roof of screen two.
A statement on the cinema’s website says: “Due to technical issues, we are closed today but will hopefully re-open tomorrow. Sorry for any inconvenience.”
The cinema has two screens – screen one has 472 seats and screen two has 144 seats.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 'Abandoned' cottage and studio up for sale after huge renovation
- 3 Suffolk cinema to allow dog owners to bring their pets to watch films
- 4 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 5 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
- 6 Former Town striker Chopra out of retirement to join non-league club
- 7 Evicted Suffolk family to move into £6,000 double-decker bus bought on eBay
- 8 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 9 The Range secures huge logistics hub at new A14 business park
- 10 Suspected wanted man chased through Suffolk village
According to Century Cinema’s website, the cinema was refurbished in June 2013 and upgraded with air conditioning.
Located above the Gala Bingo Hall, the cinema originally opened in 1936 with 1,743 seats.
In 1967, the cinema was split into the bingo hall and two screens.
Century Cinema is not responding to requests for further information.
An Essex County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Firefighters were called to a fire in a cinema projection room. Crews wore breathing apparatus and used one hose reel to extinguish the fire.
“Crews reported that the cinema had been evacuated. Crews extinguished the fire at 4.16pm.”
Three fire engines from Clacton, Weeley and Brightlingsea attended the incident.