First Dates Fred Sirieix is backing a Colchester campaign
- Credit: Archant
First Dates Fred Sirieix is backing a national campaign which was launched in Essex.
Edge Hotel School in Colchester started the My Hospitality Life campaign to encourage more young people to pursue a career in hospitality.
The UK wide initiative was devised by principal Andrew Boer amid growing threats to recruitment in the industry.
Mr Boer said: “The reality is we don’t currently have enough home-grown talent to fill the positions that are likely to become available.
“We didn’t have that before and – as things stand – we certainly won’t have it in a few years’ time.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to reverse that trend so that we have a workforce fit for the future. Currently young people aren’t aware of just how vibrant and exciting a career in hospitality can be.
“There’s a perception that it’s all about making beds or waiting tables. But it’s much more than that. It can lead to a whole variety of roles that span design, engineering, finance, HR, law and marketing. It involves real business acumen.”
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 4 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 9 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
- 10 Missing person from Braintree has been found
Maître d’hôtel, Fred Sirieix, fronts the video in support of My Hospitality Life which you can watch above.
The Channel 4 star said: “You could be working in a wide variety of roles. From being a chef or a waiter, to managing events, such as weddings, concerts or even festivals, to international hotel marketing, working on cruise liners or even being a general manager of a five-star hotel.
“You have the choice to work anywhere in the world, from exotic locations to vibrant cities, or even in your home town. It really is one of the most varied and exciting industries in the world. There is a role for everyone.”