Charity role for mother
A MOTHER who is still desperately searching for her missing son is hoping to support others by working for a charity “close to her heart”.
Nicki Durbin, mother of Luke Durbin – who has been missing since May, 2006 – has become a Family Representative for the charity Missing People. Luke was last seen around 4am on May 12, 2006, when he was spotted on CCTV in Dogs Head Street, Ipswich, heading towards the bus station.
Ms Durbin’s new role has been created by the charity to give a greater voice to those affected when someone disappears.
New figures have revealed that there were more than 3,381 incidents of people going missing in Suffolk last year.
The charity has recently launched a new campaign in hope that the Government will give the families of missing people more rights and support.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Durbin, who lives in Hollesley, near Woodbridge, told of the importance of giving families who have a loved one missing “the same basic rights as victims of crime.”
“The Missing Rights campaign means that finally families of the missing will have their voices heard,” she added.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 4 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 5 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 6 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 10 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
“It is so important that people get the support they need in these very devastating times – it is vital for the families left behind.
“I am so pleased to be able to work with Missing People to help give a voice to families.”
She also appealed for the region’s MPs to show their support for the campaign.
Last week, the EADT revealed that officers from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) are re-examining the case – just says after his 24th birthday.
Luke was on a night out with friends on Thursday, May 11, 2006, and had been at what was then Zest nightclub. His disappearance was out of character and he did not return home to collect any personal belongings – including a mobile phone he had left at a friend’s house and his wages.
For information about the charity visit www.missingpeople.org.uk