Charity walk aged 80? I’ll keep on going until age 90, pledges Great Horkesley woman
- Credit: Archant
An octogenarian is determined to show age is no barrier to fundraising when she takes on the St Helena Hospice Midnight Walk around Colchester next year.
Maureeen Lockhart, from Great Horkesley, took part in the hospice’s very first walk aged 73 and has done every one since.
She will be 80-years-old by the time of the 2016 event on May 28, which she plans to do with her daughter Sue.
Maureen originally pledged to take part every year until she reached the milestone, but has now extended her ambition to her 90th birthday.
A women-only event, the Midnight Walk takes people on a three or 7.5-mile route around the town and is open for anyone aged 11 or over.
You may also want to watch:
Maureen said: “I think the Midnight Walk just gets better every year, and for me it has become easier because of my daily exercise.
“The atmosphere is just fantastic as soon as you arrive. I look forward to taking part every year – I even did it on my own once.
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
“The Midnight Walk has really has changed my life. When I signed up I decided I needed to walk regularly to get fit for it – then I started walking every day.
“My doctor is very impressed. I walk two miles every morning and my neighbours now join me. People wave at us on their way to work.
“I haven’t missed one day, and just can’t miss it. If it rains I have waterproofs.”
The event raises vital funds for St Helena Hospice.
Maureen raises sponsorship every year by putting a little bit of money in a tin every week along with donations from friends, as well as doing fundraising events.
The 2016 walk begins at 10.30pm with the theme of neon glow. The early bird sign-up fee discount closes on February 22.
To find out more and sign up visit www.colchestermidnightwalk.co.uk or call 01206 931 468.