Chelmondiston: Driver, 20, escapes crash fireball
AN injured driver managed to get out of his car before it burst into flames after a crash on a country road in Suffolk.
A YOUNG driver managed to struggle out of his car before it burst into flames after hitting a tree during a late-night crash on a Suffolk road.
Firefighters who found the car engulfed in flames on the B1456 between Chelmondiston and Shotley, last night said they could hardly believe the man was able to get out of the Honda Integra before it caught alight.
Crews from Ipswich and Holbrook were sent to the scene of the single-vehicle accident which occurred at 10.40pm on Saturday.
Paul Young, from Princes Street fire station in Ipswich, said: “On arrival the vehicle was completely engulfed in flames.
You may also want to watch:
“We spoke to one of the members of the public who had stopped when they came across the car and ascertained the driver was laying on the verge. He had been pulled cleared from the vehicle to a safe distance away.
“It looked like he had been travelling in the direction of Ipswich where there is a slight bend out of 30mph limit going into the 60mph limit. He lost control of the car and shot across the road.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
He had gone into a lot of brush and hit a tree, which spun the car around.
“He was lucky to get out of the vehicle. The damage was very severe. We wondered how on earth he managed to get out.”
“He got out of the vehicle himself and was about 15-20 yards away when members of the public pulled him behind another vehicle.”
Police and an ambulance crew were also sent to the scene.
Paramedics treated the driver - who is believed to be 20 years old and live locally - for cuts to his face and suspected injuries to his torso.
He was then taken to Ipswich Hospital for further treatment.