Delays expected after busy interchange to remain closed amid safety fears
- Credit: Archant
A busy traffic interchange remains closed for maintenance work again this morning – and is not expected to open for some time amid safety fears.
Essex County Council has closed the Army and Navy flyover in Chelmsford after one of its supporting columns was found damaged.
Drivers have been warned to expect delays in the city centre during the closure, while “essential repair works are carried out.
Kevin Bentley, the council’s cabinet member for infrastructure said: “This damage is something which has happened very recently.
“We don’t know how it happened, and our task now is getting to the bottom of the issue so we can ensure the structure is safe.
You may also want to watch:
“We are sorry for any inconvenience, but I am sure road users and residents would agree there can be no compromise over safety.”
The flyover had just seen resurfacing and improvement works take place over the summer. It reopened in August with a 20mph speed limite.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 7 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
The closure led to major delays in the city yesterday, particularly throughout morning and evening rush hours.