Delivery driver, 69, given hospital order after attempted rape
- Credit: Archant
A delivery driver was given a hospital order after sexually assaulting a woman he delivered medication to in Colchester.
Dennis Reed, 69, of Sydney Street, Colchester, was sentenced at Chelmsford Crown Court on April 15, after pleading guilty to attempted rape, three counts of sexual assault and one count of common assault at an earlier hearing.
Reed will also spend the rest of his life on the sex offenders register.
In a statement read out in court, the victim said she “still felt Reed’s presence in my home” and that she still feels compelled to check he is not in the house when she moves from room to room.
The attacks occurred between August and September 2018 after Reed copied a key for the victim’s front door so that he could let himself in to her home.
The offences were reported to police on September 21 and Reed was arrested the same day.
Investigating officer DC Nicola Kelly, of the north sexual abuse investigation team, said: “I cannot commend the victim enough for being brave enough to tell someone, and tell us, about the assaults on her by Reed.
- 1 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 6 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 55 projects identified in major plans to transform transport
- 10 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
“Reed knowingly targeted a very vulnerable woman and abused her trust in an abhorrent way.
“I am pleased that this detainment means that he will be unable to reoffend.”