Chemical incident was false alarm
A possible chemical incident at Ipswich Hospital was a false alarm, fire chiefs have confirmed.
A spokeswoman for the Suffolk Fire Service said: “Fire crews stood down from the scene at 5.13pm.
“The smell was traced to a container which has been sealed off and left on site for hospital staff to dispose of in an incinerator.
“The incident was a false alarm.”
Fire crews were called to the site after a funny smell was reported as coming from one of the rooms of the Garrett Anderson building.
You may also want to watch:
The fire service were asked to attend shortly before 4pm this afternoon.
A spokeswoman said it is business as usual and no patients have been evacuated.
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 4 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
She said: “A funny smell was noticed in one of the treatment rooms in the emergency department.
“Staff took the precaution of closing the area off and called the fire service to investigate.”
No more details are available at this time.