Chevrotain born at Colchester Zoo
A BABY mouse-deer has been born at Colchester Zoo.The small chevrotain is described as strong and healthy and is living with its parents in an enclosure at the Stanway tourist attraction.
A BABY mouse-deer has been born at Colchester Zoo.
The small chevrotain is described as strong and healthy and is living with its parents in an enclosure at the Stanway tourist attraction.
Chevrotains are found in the tropical forests of Africa, India and South East Asia.
However, in captivity their numbers are dwindling as they are known to suffer from viral infections and poor breeding success.
A spokesman for Colchester Zoo said: “We can report that both parents and offspring seem happy.
“We are, however, monitoring the situation carefully as this could change as males have known to become aggressive towards their young in the past.
- 1 'Inspiring and brilliant' Suffolk pilot, 21, died from an infected insect sting
- 2 Ex-Town duo sign for League One rivals
- 3 Suffolk school unveils plans for new fitness suite and cafe
- 4 Revealed: The sell-on fee Town are set to receive for Downes
- 5 Go-ahead for 1,000 new homes on controversial site
- 6 Much-loved Stowmarket shop to re-open at new premises
- 7 Best friends take over popular café in 'just heavenly' setting
- 8 Woman rescued after being swept out to sea off Suffolk coast
- 9 Wooden fence panels stolen from front garden of home
- 10 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
“For this reason the species is being closely monitored, but all signs at present seem positive.”