Children’s author Gareth P Jones opens reading facility at Marks Tey school
- Credit: Su Anderson
A top children’s author opened a new reading shack at a north Essex school yesterday.
Gareth P Jones, writer of the Dragon Detective Agency and the Steampunk Pirate series, officially opened the doors of the facility at St Andrew’s Primary School in Marks Tey.
The outdoor reading area, built last summer, received a make-over during the Christmas holidays, with the help of a wish-list from pupils and hard work by the Friends of St Andrew’s group (FoSTAPS).
Victoria Smith, English subject leader and assistant headteacher, said: “We’re excited about the re-opening of the Reading Shack.
“It will be a wonderful place to read, learn, share and reflect.
You may also want to watch:
“We feel very lucky to have such a delightful, fun and thought-provoking space in our school.”
The school thanked FoSTAPS, the suppliers who donated materials, and borough councillor Elizabeth Blundell who worked to make the project happen.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 7 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 8 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 9 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
The £2,000 reading shack was jointly funded by Essex County Council and FoSTAPS.
Joint funded by local council and FoStaps, the facility will be used by classes and also the local community.