Chimney fire at The Greyhound closes High Street in Lavenham
- Credit: Archant
Two fire crews are at the scene of The Greyhound pub in Lavenham after a small chimney fire broke out.
Crews were called at around 12.20pm however on arrival found the fire, close to the top of the chimney, had already been extinguished.
Crews cleared out the wood burner and remain on site to ensure the fire does not reignite.
Customers in the pub were evacuated and allowed back into the premises just after 1.30pm.
Three fire pumps were initially sent to the incident as a precaution, as The Greyhound is in an old building attached to other old, timber-framed buildings.
You may also want to watch:
The incident caused the closure of High Street, on which the pub is located, at 1.40pm as a precaution. It reopened just before 2.30pm.
A diversionary route was in place via the market place, however the closure caused delays for HGV drivers, with the route not suitable for heavy goods vehicles.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 8 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn