Chip pan started house blaze

FIREFIGHTERS battled for more than two hours to control a blaze engulfing the roof of a house in a Suffolk village early today.

Will Clarke

FIREFIGHTERS battled for more than two hours to control a blaze engulfing the roof of a house in a Suffolk village early today.

Crews were called to a home in Chedburgh Road, Whepstead, near Bury St Edmunds at about 1.20am after fire took hold in the roof of the property.

In total four appliances attended the scene and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used three hose reels and a 45mm jet to tackle the flames.

A turntable ladder was also used and the fire was under control by 3.50am.

It is thought the fire started in a chip pan in the kitchen before travelling up a ventilation shaft into the roof space. The house was being refurbished and was unoccupied.

Most Read

In a separate incident four youths have been arrested in connection with a blaze at a disused warehouse in Bury yesterday evening.

A 15 year old male from Barrow, a 15 year old male from Bury and two 16 year old males from Chevington have been given police bail.

The youth from Barrow must return to Bury police station on June 18; the male from Bury must return on June 28, along with one of the males from Chevington; the second male from Chevington must return on June 19.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter