Tennis legend Christine Truman Janes is guest of honour at care home fete
- Credit: Archant
A former world tennis star was the special guest at a Suffolk care home fete.
Christine Truman Janes, a former French open champion who was also a Wimbledon singles finalist, set the proceedings under way at Woodbridge Lodge care home, in Burkitt Road, Woodbridge, on Saturday, September 8 at 2pm.
There were craft and cake stalls, a raffle, a buffet and aromatherapy treatments on offer while music was provided by Suffolk Phoenix Brass Band.
Proceeds from the garden event, which was open to the whole community, will go to the residents’ fund to pay for extra activities and outings.
Mrs Truman Janes, whose husband Gerry – a former top rugby player – is a resident at Woodbridge Lodge, has strong ties to Suffolk having retired to nearby Aldeburgh more than 20 years ago.
You may also want to watch:
Donna Minshull, manager at the home run by Kingsley Healthcare, said: “Bringing the outside in is one of the main reasons for it.
“Some of our residents find it difficult to get out, so by bringing the community in it gives them something to do and gives a bit of stimulation.”
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 4 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 10 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site