Twenty fire crews called to thatched roof blaze in Suffolk village
- Credit: Charlotte Bond
Twenty fire crews have been called to a major fire at a thatched building this morning.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue were called to Church Lane, Thwaite shortly after 7.30am.
A spokesman for Suffolk fire and rescue said that the force was attending a two-storey thatched property and were using breathing apparatus and ladders to deal with the fire.
Crews from across Suffolk and a few appliances from over the border in Norfolk have been called to the scene.
David Briggs, who was born in the cottage but now lives next door, said it was sad to see the house he "treasures" in flames.
Mr Briggs said: "My wife looked out of the conservatory window and said to me there was smoke coming out of the chimney of the house."
Mr Briggs added his wife saw his neighbour trying to battle the flame with his garden hose.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
- 9 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 10 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
"He had his hosepipe and was trying to spray his hosepipe onto the roof.
"I said it's such a shame as I treasure that old house, I was born there and now live next to it.
"But it will be restored. When it was listed, they said it was built in about 1664. It's full of old beams."