Fire engine damaged and crews abused during evacuation of restaurant and cinema
- Credit: Contributed
Firefighters were abused and their vehicle was damaged, after a cinema and restaurant were evacuated due to a smell of chemicals.
Suffolk Fire Service was called to the Frankie and Benny’s restaurant in Ehringshausen Way, Haverhill, at around 8.30pm on Friday, February 22, after people reported a smell of chemicals coming from a drain. Two appliances from Haverhill attended.
A fire service spokeswoman said eight people had complained of feeling ill. An ambulance was called and they were treated at the scene by paramedics, but did not need any further treatment.
The nearby Cineworld multiplex cinema was also evacuated during the incident.
A police spokesman said they had been called to the scene after “a group of youths were abusive to the crews.” Damage had also been caused to the door mirror of the fire engine.
You may also want to watch:
Police said nobody has been arrested and enquiries are continuing.
The fire service had finished dealing with the incident by about 10.30pm.
- 1 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 2 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 5 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 6 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 7 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
- 8 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 9 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 10 Large scratches left on cars all parked on same road overnight
Frankie and Benny’s and Cineworld were both open as normal on Saturday. A spokeswoman for Cineworld said that everyone who had been asked to leave the cinema would receive a refund.