Clacton: Annual air show will go ahead
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
ORGANISERS of the Clacton Air Show are reassuring flight fans the event will take place later this year.
Doubts were raised after it was announced earlier this week that Southend Air Show would be cancelled due to budget constraints.
Tendring District Council (TDC), which runs the event, said it wants to make it clear the Clacton Air Show will be taking place on August 22 and 23.
Lowestoft revealed last year that it would not be having an air show in 2013 due to rising costs.
Alan Goggin, TDC’s cabinet member for tourism, said that due to hard work and careful budgeting the Clacton Air Show is getting to a point where it is close to breaking even and is sustainable.
You may also want to watch:
“It is fair to say that due to the position that local authorities find themselves in and the very difficult financial times ahead we did have to look seriously at whether we could afford to stage an annual air show ourselves in its current format,” he said.
“We also commissioned a report to find out just how much it is worth to the local economy and discovered it brings in an extra £4million over the two days. It is therefore incredibly important to the District as a whole and we have strived to find ways of reducing costs, increasing revenue and running the event as near to break even as possible.”
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
Last year Clacton Air Show pulled in crowds over around 130,000 over the two days.
Anyone wanting information about sponsorship opportunities, hospitality, or trade space should contact 01255 686683 or 01255 686654.