Bedroom fire caused by unattended candle – one person taken to hospital

The fire has been blamed on an unattended candle Picture: MARK PANTON

The fire has been blamed on an unattended candle Picture: MARK PANTON - Credit: Archant

Fire chiefs have warned of the dangers posed by unattended candles following a blaze at an address in Clacton.

One person was taken to hospital following the incident Picture: MARK PANTON

One person was taken to hospital following the incident Picture: MARK PANTON - Credit: Archant

Fire broke out in the bedroom of a three storey residential building in Orwell Road during the early hours of Monday morning.

When firefighters arrived, they checked all residents were out of the building and then managed to extinguish the flames.

The fire was located in a self-contained bedroom on the first floor of the building.

Firefighters from Clacton and Weeley managed to stop the fire spreading to any other room in the building.


You may also want to watch:


The fire severely damaged the room but no other room was damaged in the fire.

The ground and first floor rooms were left without power due to the electric supply being damaged by the fire.

Most Read

Residents affected were left in the care of the Red Cross, which provided welfare support and assisted with re-housing.

One person was left in the care of the ambulance service.

Essex County Fire and Rescue said: “Incidents like this show how important it is to take extra care when using candles.

“Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains.

“Children should not be left alone with lit candles.

“Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.

“Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.

“Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.

“Trim the wick to a quarter of an inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.

“Don’t move candles once they are lit.

“Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use.

“Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus