Clacton: Candidates announced for Parliamentary by-election
- Credit: PA
There are eight people contesting the Clacton seat in Westminster at next month’s by-election.
The deadline for nominations was 4pm today and the returning officer confirmed the candidates who would be fighting for the post.
Those vying for votes are:
• Douglas Carswell (UKIP)
• Andy Graham (Liberal Democrats)
You may also want to watch:
• Alan “Howling Laud” Hope (Monster Raving Loony Party)
• Charlotte Rose (Independent)
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 7 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 10 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
• Bruce Sizer (Independent)
• Chris Southall (Green)
• Giles Watling (Conservative)
• Tim Young (Labour)
Another candidate, John Black for the Scottish Jacobite Party, had his nomination rejected by the returning officer as invalid.
The by-election was triggered by the surprise defection of sitting MP Douglas Carswell to UKIP. The former Conservative MP resigned his seat at the same time to force an election.
A number of high profile politicians have already visited the constituency, which includes Frinton and Jaywick, as part of the battle for votes.
Today William Hague, former Conservative Party leader and current Leader of the House of Commons, joined the Tory candidate Giles Watling on the campaign trail.