Clacton: Fire in two-storey house makes five people homeless

FIVE people have been left homeless today (Sunday) after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a two-storey house in Page Road, Clacton.

One of them, a 40-year-old woman, was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics from the Essex Ambulance Service.

The drama unfolded at 7.14am and two fire engines from Clacton and another from Weeley were called to the scene.

A spokeswoman for the Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said the daughter of the family living in the property raised the alarm after smelling smoke and that a kitchen appliance had caught fire.

“They all got out before we got there. The kitchen was devastated and all the rooms have got smoke damage,” added the spokeswoman.

When the crews arrived the house was heavily smoke logged and wearing breathing apparatus they made a search for people who could have been inside. At 08.16am they reported that everyone had been accounted for.

Firefighters used two hose reels and one jet to tackle the incident.

Most Read

Once the fire was out crews used a high pressure van to clear the building of smoke.

All those in the house are now being helped by the Red Cross Victim Support team after the house suffered severe smoke damage.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter