Clacton gunpoint robbery
SHOTS were fired as three men were robbed at gunpoint in a shocking attack in Clacton last night. The incident happened at about 7pm in Thomas Road as the takings of a Christmas collection were being carried from a social club in CarnarvonRoad.
SHOTS were fired as three men were robbed at gunpoint in a shocking attack in Clacton last night.
The incident happened at about 7pm in Thomas Road as the takings of a Christmas collection were being carried from a social club in Carnarvon
The men from the Railway Club were carrying a "large amount" of money when they were stopped by two robbers, one armed with a shotgun.
One of the robbers discharged the gun into the air in what police described as a horrendous incident.
The victims handed over a briefcase of ledgers, but none of the money they were carrying. No one was hurt in the robbery.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 6 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 7 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 8 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 9 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 10 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
Insp Paul Butcher of Clacton police said the men were shaken by the attack. He said: "They are quite shaken, but they acted very, very bravely."
The victims are giving descriptions of the men as we speak.
"It is a very shocking attack, for a gun to be discharged in a residential area is horrendous."
The robbers made their getaway in a vehicle which headed down Thomas Road towards its junction with Coppins Road.
If anyone saw the attack or has any information they should contact Clacton CID on 01255 221312.