Huge fire sparked by cigarette leaves family of three homeless
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A family has been left homeless after a huge fire tore through a two-storey house.
Firefighters have told how the blaze quickly spread through the home in Coulsdon Close, Clacton.
Crews from Frinton, Weeley, Clacton and Colchester were called to the scene after the fire broke out on the first floor.
When they arrived firefighters were faced with flames which were spreading fast into the roof.
“The spread of fire was fast, but the hard work and professionalism of the crews stopped it spreading to the neighbouring property,” said incident commander Ian Street.
You may also want to watch:
“Within 10 minutes of us arriving it was clear the building was becoming structurally unsafe for our firefighters to be inside, so we requested the assistance of an aerial ladder platform to allow us to tackle the fire from above.”
The fire was put out by 1.40pm yesterday, leaving the house completely destroyed and a family of three homeless.
- 1 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 2 A14 reopens after HGV crashes into central reservation
- 3 Channel 4 documentary to be filmed at Suffolk pub
- 4 West Suffolk restaurant named among best in the country
- 5 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 6 Donacien's 'feeling the love' after returning from the Ipswich Town shadows
- 7 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 8 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 9 Woman taken to hospital following three-car crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 10 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
An investigation found the fire had been caused by a cigarette in the bedroom.
Stuart Hare, station manager for Clacton, Frinton and Weeley, added: “It’s staggering to see the damage one cigarette can do to a whole house.
“Please, if you smoke in your home, never smoke in bed, use a proper ashtray and never leave lit cigarettes unattended.
“And of course, always make sure cigarettes are fully extinguished and completely cool before you dispose of them.”
The family had inhaled some smoke and were treated by ambulance crews.