Clacton gets much-needed £1.5million investment in doctors’ surgeries
- Credit: Archant
Patients are cheering a vital £1.5million investment in a medical centre in Clacton.
Kennedy House, in Kennedy Way in Clacton-on-Sea, will soon become a hub for two existing GP surgeries from across the area - Epping Close Surgery in Clacton and Frinton Road Medical Practice in Holland-on-Sea.
The move and £1.5m refurbishment will allow the North East Essex NHS Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to install modern facilities at Kennedy house, including digital points that allow patients to sign in to the surgery and a purpose-built area for doctors and nurses to train patients to effectively manage some health-related conditions.
Rita Garnett, chairman of the Frinton Road Patient Participation Group, said: "This is great news for our local patients and I am delighted the new leadership teams at the CCG and Ranworth have been working so hard to get the scheme to this stage.
"The surgery at Frinton Road is no longer fit for purpose as the building is a converted house and in need of full refurbishment to ensure it complies with infection control requirements.
You may also want to watch:
"The building is not big enough. There are not enough consultation rooms and those that we do have are inadequate.
"We have been calling for some time for improved facilities and we believe this redevelopment will go a long way to address this issue."
- 1 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 2 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 3 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 4 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 6 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 7 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 8 Family's heartfelt tribute to 'devoted mother' of four who died in crash
- 9 'For my mental and physical health I needed to take a break' - Thomas explains absence
- 10 Four-vehicle crash closes A14 petrol station for more than 15 hours
Work is expected to start on the redevelopment in the early spring and is due for completion by the end of autumn this year.
The announcement follows work by the CCG to engage with the community through the Big Care Debate and an urgent care review, where many patients said some premises were not fit for purpose.
The NHS North East Essex CCG recently appointed Ranworth Surgery in Clacton to deliver GP services on a 12-month caretaker basis at four practice sites in the Tendring area.
Once the work has finished, Ranworth will provide services at Kennedy House.
The NHS North East Essex CCG recently appointed to deliver GP services on a 12-month caretaker basis at four practice sites in the area. Once the work has finished, Ranworth will provide services at Kennedy House.
Dr Ed Garratt, chief executive of the NHS North East Essex CCG, said: "This is fantastic news for people in east Clacton and brings to an end years of uncertainty around the future of GP services in the area.
"I am especially excited by this redevelopment as it brings a range of exciting opportunities in providing services in the future."
Clacton MP Giles Watling added: "This is truly welcome news and will further improve services for local residents.
"I have worked closely with the CCG and know that Dr Garratt and his staff are committed to delivering the best services possible."