Historic post office to be closed and moved to WHSmith
- Credit: Archant
A post office is to be moved to inside a WHSmith – despite community opposition to the move.
The Post Office confirmed that it would move out of its historic High Street site in Clacton on Sea on Wednesday, June 19.
It will move to the WHSmith in nearby Pier Avenue the following day, with the Post Office saying the move would enable to branch to open for longer - including between 10am and 2pm on Sundays.
But the move is likely to anger opponents, who said during a public consultation on the plans that it would harm the town's heritage.
Mr Gale said: "The Post Office is committed to keeping our services at the heart of communities which we know is hugely important to people. This change means we can continue to do that, into the future.
You may also want to watch:
"We are making sure we take the right action to sustain services for years to come."
Several Post Offices have closed and moved inside WHSmith stores in recent years.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 4 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 6 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 7 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 10 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich