Clacton: Search for Ronald King called off after body found
- Credit: Archant
Police have called off a search for a missing man after a body was found in the sea near Clacton today.
Officers believe that the man found at Holland Haven is Ronald King, 63, who had not been seen since Friday, May 16.
Relatives of Mr King have been informed and formal identification is still to take place.
Police were due to carry out a new search of beaches near Holland Haven after a media appeal led to information that Mr King had launched his small inflatable dinghy from Clacton beach at about 9.45pm on Friday.
Mr King told staff at the Travelodge hotel in Jackson Road, where he lives permanently, that he was going out in his boat.
He was reported missing on Monday by hotel staff after he did not return. He also failed to attend church on Sunday.
A local yachtsman who also read the police appeal for information came forward and reported finding the dinghy several miles offshore on Saturday morning.
You may also want to watch:
The police helicopter carried out a search of the coastline, but could not find a trace of Mr King or his dinghy.
Police also checked the places Mr King liked to visit, but did not hear of any sightings of him.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 8 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 9 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
Police and coastguards calculated tide times and wind directions to narrow the search to the Holland Haven area.
A search of the area was being planned when a woman walking near the Haven saw the body at about 9.30am today.
Detective Inspector Russ Cole, who was leading the search said: “Sadly we believe the body found today is Mr King and we are still awaiting formal identification.
“We would like to thank the media for their considerable assistance in this search.
“As a result of the appeal for help two members of the public came forward with information that helped us to establish what happened to Mr King and where he might be.
“There are no suspicious circumstances and a report is now being prepared for the Coroner.”