Clacton: Tendring Council host dance in aid of Children in Need
- Credit: Archant
The first of Tendring District Council’s fundraisers for Children in Need stepped off in style with a tea dance at Clacton Leisure Centre.
More than 40 regulars took to the floor for two hours this afternoon and helped to raise £157.50 for the appeal.
The dance is held every Wednesday afternoon at the centre in Vista Road and is run by Cyril Fayers.
“They all really enjoy themselves and we often have as many as 60 here,” he said. “I have been doing this for 14 years now.”
Among those taking part were Charles Bell from Walton and his young lady, Audrey Scrutton from Thorpe.
The afternoon was all part of Mr Bell’s 91st birthday celebrations - which he assured all would continue for a few days yet.
A whole series of other events and activities will be staged for Children in Need by TDC staff and its leisure centres around the District over the next few days.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 2 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 3 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 4 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 5 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 6 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 7 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 8 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's Carabao Cup exit
- 9 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 10 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
Paul Honeywood, TDC’s Cabinet Member for Housing, Revenues, Benefits and Sports Facilities, said: “I would like to thanks all those involved, staff and customers alike, for helping to raise money for such a worthy cause.
“The tea dance got us off to the perfect start.”
Details of other events can be found on TDC’s website www.tendringdc.gov.uk.