Clacton woman shaves her head for veterans’ charity
- Credit: Archant
A woman who had not had a hair cut in eight years shaved off her locks in aid of charity on Saturday.
Steph Scott, from Clacton, bravely volunteered for a buzz cut to raise funds for SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity.
So far Steph, 26, has raised £900 and hopes to hit £1,000 in sponsorship – smashing both her original £500 and revised £750 targets.
Her hair did not go to waste as the locks were also donated to the Little Princess Trust cancer charity to be used for wigs.
Steph said she chose the SSAFA Armed Forces charity as family members had served in the Army and RAF and she valued the work they did in mental health for veterans – a cause also close to her heart as a good friend worked as a mental health nurse often supporting former servicemen.
You may also want to watch:
The hair cut took place at the Spinning Pretty Pole Studio in Colchester, owned by a friend, while another friend Dawne Andrews of Medusa Hairdressing carried out the shave.
Steph said: “The hair cut went far too quickly, but I had friends and family there to support – and laugh at – me.
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 5 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 6 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 What has changed in Woodbridge over lockdown?
- 9 Body found in the River Orwell
- 10 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
“My mum begged me not to do it but my nan was very proud of me and even joked I could go one step further and get my head tattooed – which I am not doing.“There were not any mirrors in the room and it took about 10 minutes afterwards before I had the confidence to look at myself. I was shocked when I looked in the mirror.
“I am impatient for it to grow a little longer so I can style it.
“I have just been to town and had a big thermal hat on, but it’s very windy and the way it catches my hair it is very cold.
“I’ve done quite a lot of races and sporting events so I thought I would do something crazy. A lot of people could not believe I was going to do it.
“Everyone has been incredibly generous in sponsoring me.”