Classic cars destroyed in barn blaze
A FATHER and son have been left devastated after four of their classic vehicles - worth a total of more than £25,000 - were destroyed in a barn fire.The classic car enthusiasts said they were distraught after losing three classic cars, a motorcycle, car spares, and a children's quad bike in Monday's blaze.
A FATHER and son have been left devastated after four of their classic vehicles - worth a total of more than £25,000 - were destroyed in a barn fire.
The classic car enthusiasts said they were distraught after losing three classic cars, a motorcycle, car spares, and a children's quad bike in Monday's blaze.
Chris Sage and his father Mike kept classic cars and rare car spares in the barn on Arks Farm in Colts Hall Road, Cavendish, near Sudbury.
Chris said: “We are devastated - only two of the cars were insured but we don't know if we will get a pay-out for them - if we don't we will have lost in excess of £25,000.
You may also want to watch:
“But even if we do get the money the cars were classics and were in show condition - they are not easy to replace - its not like going out and buying a new car.
“My five-year-old's quad bike was in there as well and when the barn burnt down he was distraught - he was crying all night after he found out.”
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 9 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 10 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
A 1969 MGC, a 1966 Mini Cooper, a 1966 Mini and a 1952 BSA Bantam were all lost in the fire.
Mr Sage said he believed the blaze could have been caused by sparks from a nearby rubbish fire.
Firefighters were called to the barn at about 3pm and one crew remained throughout the night before the gas cylinders could be removed at 8am the next morning.
A 100-metre safety zone was set up around the fire as the acetylene cylinders posed a serious threat of explosion and had to be thoroughly cooled before they could be removed.